The ongoing violent tragedies happening in the USA have shaken me. In a tweet by Beto O’Rourke on August 9, 2019 he stated since the massacre in El Paso another 252 people have been killed from gun violence in America. I continue to try and process the ongoing tragedies that have been impacting so many people on such a deeply disturbing level. I am one of those people who truly believe that wonderful things can occur from the darkest of moments. I am not there yet. I am working on that part.
As I ponder and process I go back to what can I do as a person. Yes there is the power of my vote in elections. Yes there is the power of my day to day actions. I do have some power, some control. I have the power of one. I have the power of me.
Schmoop defines the power of one as being “based on the courage to remain separate, to think through to the truth, and not to be beguiled by convention or the plausible arguments of those who expect to maintain power”. Merriam-Webster defines the word power as “the ability to act or produce an effect”.
Super hero and heroine movies are my favorites! I love them, can’t get enough of them, and tend to watch the same movie over and over (this part my family does not enjoy). You know what the true power of a superhero and superheroine? It is not strength, flying, being invisible and using spider webs, even though those are really cool things. It is that they do NOT give up. Nope when the going to gets tough they pause, reflect, problem solve and get back in the fight. They do not give up. Don’t. They keep fighting for good, right, love, and decency. They use their power of one to fight the fight for good. When times get really tough they join forces. Working together with their unique powers makes everyone stronger. Teamwork can make the dreamwork.
With so much darkness, despair, and sadness it is totally understandable when people get depressed, isolate themselves, give up and give in. I am REFUSING to do that. I believe I will be the change I wish to see in the world. My worldly view includes lots of kindness, compassion, empathy, support. Yes there is structure and rules as they are needed. We help each other out. We pull each other up. We give chances and give people the opportunity to change. We hear out people whose views we may not like and perhaps not like the person either. We keep in the fight for good and right.
As I look around me I am not the only one who feels this way. I read and see so many people using the power of one to be a force of love and light in this world. They act in kind, giving, caring ways not for fame or fortune. They do this because this is who they want to be. Here are some examples:
- Rodney Smith Jr. has traveled throughout the United States mowing lawns for free for people in need.
- Greg Zanis has built and brought crosses since 1996, when his father-in-law was murdered, has built 26,680 crosses to the families of shootings, tornados, and wildfires.
- James Harrison of Australia donated his blood and save 2.4 million babies.
- Yesterday I watched a video of a woman Uber driver bringing a dress and gift card to the woman she drove to work to help that person out.
- Grant Rivera, superintendent of Marietta City Schools donated his $10,000 bonus to help students apply to college.
- On a flight a man comforted a 96 year old woman who was anxious and scared.
- Multiple employees fo Recology San Fransisco searched through tons of recycling to find a man’s life savings in a shoe box.
- Kazi Mannan the owner of Sakina Halal Grill, DC feeds for free ever person who is homeless who enters his restaurant. He has feed over 80,000 people.
- Benjamin Houston who works for Domino’s (I love their pizza) and is deaf walked a pizza delivery in the very late of night after his car broke down.
- Residents of Gloucester Township NJ raised money to save one of their own from losing his house.
- Chris Van Dorn founded Batman4Paws and delivers shelter pets to their new forever homes.
This list of examples of the power of one, sometimes the power of a lot of ones coming together, goes on and on.
You have your super power of one. If you want a kinder, gentler world do good. If you already doing kindness and good deeds for others do a few more. Be nice and kind. Smile at people even when you are grumpy. Stretch yourself to have conversations with people whose beliefs are very different from your belief and values. Perhaps you will learn something, perhaps they will learn something, perhaps good will come from it. There is a most excellent TED talk by Ozlem Cekic titled “Why I have coffee with people who send me hate mail”. Watch it.
You are needed! Every one brings a special, original, unique, wonderful, creative, talented, giving personality to this world. You are the only you that ever was and ever will be.
I know I am upping my super power of one to do more good. To give more, help more, share more, be there more.
Want to join me?
May your power of one be with you💜
Photo by Jon Tyson