How often do you use the refresh button on your computer? By hitting one symbol you can update and have new data. It is almost magical. For us humans, to get refreshed takes a little more effort. In order to renew our energy and get invigorated we need to put it some effort, take an action. To me, the effort put into getting refreshed is always worth it.
I tend to run (well more like jog) the same route, going by the same houses in the same direction. It’s a lovely run. Enough to get me sweaty, feeling strong and accomplished at the end. Today I simply switched to run on the opposite side of the street because it was shadier on the other side. As I ran seeing the houses, trees, flowers from the opposite side of the street I felt more energized. It was refreshing to see everything from a different perspective. I felt myself running with a little more pep in my step. One minor change lead to what felt like a stronger run.
Children have skill at staying refreshed. They play hard, are innately curious, crash at bedtime, have pretty healthy intake of food, and take breaks. A child’s routine has activities that refresh them imbedded in their daily living. Too often as adults we struggle to justify the time (and it isn’t that much) to do something that refreshes us. Yet when we do take an action as simple as taking a walk we wake up our brain. According to an article in Entrepreneur from 2013 Marissa Vicario a health and wellness coach said “when you sit still, your body systems are at rest. Moving your body helps wake up your mitochondria, the part of your cells that generate energy. She says taking a brisk walk several times per week can make your mitochondria double in size, which helps the body produce more energy.”
I have been many times I struggled in seeking answers and solutions to challenges I was facing. What I have found more often than not, was when I stepped away from what I was focusing on, the answers came to me. When I took an opposite action simply to refresh my self and purposely distance from my challenge I was rewarded with more energy and a solution. Getting refreshed equaled a fresh perspective and solutions that I felt positive about.
What are activities and actions we can take to be refreshed?
- Talk a walk, do some jumping jacks, jog in place. In other words MOVE.
- Get a drink of water or a refreshing beverage (lemonade anyone?).
- Take a nap.
- Go a new direction when you return home from somewhere OR drive a new way to the grocery store, or work, or take a drive somewhere just for the heck of it.
- Watch something funny.
- Call a friend or family member you have not talked to in a while.
- Send someone a card – yep snail mail it totally cool!
- Play with an animal.
- Play with a kid.
- Organize your work area, living area, bedroom.
- Go sit outside and just sit. Watch what is going on around you. Listen to the sounds.
- Play some of your favorite tunes and get your dance on.
- Switch up how your wear your clothes. Mix and match different pieces together.
- Learn something new. A craft, language, recipe. Do a new type of workout. Before COVID19 I had begun going to a 5:30am cycling class. It was a STRETCH for me big time. Yet after the first class and each one after that I felt refreshed and ready to take on the day.
- Be mindless. Color, paint, use your creative skills to be creative.
- Buy some flowers (if you have the funds) at the grocery store. Surprise yourself, someone you know, or perhaps someone leaving the store at the same time as you with a pretty bouquet of flowers💐
In many ways refreshing ourselves is as simple as clicking a button. There will always be all sorts of excuses as to why we don’t have the “time”. The time is always there. We just need to click the button and do it. The payoff is huge. Isn’t getting more energy and having a new perspective on you and your life worth it?
My refreshing moment of crossing the street just to get some shade as I was running reminded me how important it is to change things up. I liked waking up my mitochondria. It set the tone for the day in a more energized, curious, confident fashion.
Incredible person are routines and consistency important? YES! So is taking time to click a refresh button on your life. You matter. Having your brain and body thank you for feeling refreshed and more alive matters too.
May your refreshed be with you💜